This classic diner mash-up of a grilled cheese sandwich and a hamburger is stuffed with thick, sweet rings of pan-seared onion.
Provided by Anna Stockwell
Yield 4 servings
Number Of Ingredients 8
- Season beef with salt and pepper; divide into 4 patties. Form each patty into a thin oval that is slightly larger than a slice of bread you're using.
- Heat 1 Tbsp. oil in a large skillet or griddle, preferably cast iron, over medium-high. Cook onion slices in a single layer, being careful not to let rings separate, until softened and charred, about 4 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate and divide into individual rings.
- Add remaining 1 Tbsp. oil to skillet. Working in batches if needed, cook patties, pressing flat with a spatula, until browned but still pink in the center, about 1 1/2 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate.
- Wipe out skillet and reduce heat to medium-low. Top each slice of bread with 1 cheese slice, 1 patty, one-quarter of the onions, another slice of cheese, then a second slice of bread. Spread tops of each sandwich with 1 tsp. mayonnaise. Working in batches if needed, cook sandwiches, mayo side down, spreading the top of each sandwich with 1 tsp. mayonnaise, until golden brown, about 3 minutes. Flip and continue to cook until bread is golden brown and cheese is melted, about 3 minutes.
Similar recipes "diner style patty melt"
I have always loved eggplant parmigiana, but the first time I tried preparing it at home, I found the standard recipe daunting: too much frying and too much cheese. I've been simplifying it ever since....
Provided by Florence Fabricant
Use this roasted cherry tomatoes recipe to top our Ricotta with Roasted Cherry Tomatoes on Crostini.
Provided by Martha Stewart
Great marinade for chicken fajitas on the outdoor grill or the George Foreman. Smells great! Update: volume of oil for the marinade has been reduced.
Provided by londongavchick
This recipe is one of my favorites that I make often, it's from the cookbook, Cradle of Flavor: Home Cooking from the Spice Island of Indonesia, Malaysia, and Singapore, by James Oseland. It's a butter...
Provided by lynnski LA
Provided by Food Network
Provided by Morgan Chicarelli
This is a quick and easy salmon recipe for the grill. I found it in the Heart Healthy magazine and it has become our favorite salmon recipe for the grill. You can add more cayenne pepper if you like it...
Provided by Debi H
This herb and cheese spread is great on crackers, sandwiches when bored with mayo and mustard, or tucked into beef Wellington! It's so much cheaper to make it than buy it.
Provided by Lisa Mayer Kaelblein
Provided by Food Network
If you get nervous about making pie crusts, this recipe is for you. All you have to do is pat the nutty, gingery crumb crust into the pie plate.-Charlene Chambers, Ormond Beach, Florida
Provided by Taste of Home
More recipes about "diner style patty melt"
PATTY MELT RECIPE - DINER FOOD - ON THE GO BITES
2019-06-25 · Wipe out the pan with a paper towel. Put the sandwich back in the pan with mayo side down and griddle like you would a grilled cheese. Spread …
- If you don’t already have caramelized onions then slice two large onions in half, peel and then in cut half moons. Heat a Tablespoon canola oil in skillet over medium high heat and cook onions for 20-25 minutes until they are a nice golden brown. Stirring often.If the onions are browning too quickly turn heat down to medium. If liquid evaporates add a little more oil or some water. You want some kind of liquid so that the onions don’t burn.If using frozen caramelized onions, heat over medium heat. Once warm remove to a platter and cover with foil.
- Use the same pan to cook the burgers and eventually the patty melts. Divide 1-pound ground beef, preferably grass fed, in fourths.Make an oval patty that’s a little larger than the bread itself since the meat will shrink when you cook it.Transfer to a parchment lined baking tray, sprinkle one side with salt and pepper and pop in the freezer for a few minutes, about 10-15.
- While freezing the patties, assemble the remaining ingredients and prepare any side dishes that you plan to serve.Griddle the patty melts on the stove over medium-high heat for 2-3 minutes per side for medium-rare. Flip when you see the juice rising to the top. Remove when cooked.
- Place the cheddar cheese on a slice of bread, pile on some caramelized onions, then the cooked burger, and finally the Swiss cheese and another piece of rye bread. Spread onerye piece with softened butter or mayonnaise.
EMPIRE DINER PATTY MELT RECIPE | AMANDA FREITAG | FOOD …
2015-08-20 · Yield: 4 servings. Melt butter in large skillet over medium heat. Add onions and toss to coat with butter. Cover and slowly cook onions, stirring …
- Begin by seasoning the burgers with salt and pepper. Heat a saute pan over medium heat until hot. Sear off the burger patties to medium rare, 4 to 5 minutes per side. Transfer the patties to a sheet pan and cool to room temperature.
- Assemble the sandwiches with the Swiss cheese and Cheddar slices divided among half of the bread slices and the Caramelized Onions and beef patties divided among the other half of the slices. Combine 1 slice of each kind to create a sandwich.
- Heat a 12-inch skillet to medium and melt 4 tablespoons (2 ounces) of the butter into the pan per sandwich. Add in a sandwich and press with a steak weight or another pan to press all the ingredients together and warm and melt the cheese. Flip the sandwich and repeat until golden brown and the cheeses are melting. Repeat with each sandwich until complete.
THIS DINER-STYLE ‘PATTY’ MELT IS FULL OF CARAMELIZED ...
2021-05-06 · In a large (ideally 12-inch wide, cast-iron) skillet over high heat, melt 2 tablespoons of the butter. Add the olive oil, mushrooms, onion and salt. Fry, …
DINER-STYLE PATTY MELT RECIPE | ALLRECIPES
2020-05-13 · Directions. Instructions Checklist. Step 1. Heat butter and oil in a Dutch oven. Add onions, season with salt and pepper, cook, stirring continually, for 3 minutes. Cover with a lid …
- Heat butter and oil in a Dutch oven. Add onions, season with salt and pepper, cook, stirring continually, for 3 minutes. Cover with a lid and allow onions to caramelize, stirring occasionally to prevent burning, about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine ground beef, garlic salt, and pepper in a bowl and mix thoroughly. Shape ground beef into 4 rectangular patties.
- Cook patties in a skillet over medium-high heat, flipping once, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Add a slice of Swiss cheese to each patty and top each with an equal amount of caramelized onions.
DINER-STYLE PATTY MELTS RECIPE - THE HUNGRY BLUEBIRD
2017-04-20 · Instructions. Melt butter in cast iron skillet over medium heat. Add onions, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and cook until golden brown and caramelized, stirring frequently, about …
- Melt butter in cast iron skillet over medium heat. Add onions, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and cook until golden brown and caramelized, stirring frequently, about 20 - 25 minutes. Remove to plate and set aside.
- Form ground beef into 2 patties (6 - 8 ounces each) roughly the shape of the bread slices. Handle as minimally as possible. Season liberally with salt and peeper. Add a little butter to cast iron pan and cook patties about 3 - 4 minutes a side for medium-rare. Remove to plate and wipe skillet clean.
- Prepare melts: arrange bread slices on cutting board and butter top sides. Flip bread over and top each piece with a slice of Swiss cheese. Mound grilled onions on two slices and then place beef patties on top of onions. Flip remaining bread slices/cheese over top of of beef patty. Gently press down on sandwich to help meld together.
- Heat cast iron skillet over medium heat and add a bit of butter. Place patty melts in pan, gently press down, and grill until golden brown. Carefully flip melts, press down again, and grill the other side, cover with lid to help cheese melt. Remove to board and cut in half. If desired, swipe with mayo or other topping and serve.
OLD-FASHIONED PATTY MELTS | MRFOOD.COM
2018-05-17 · In a large skillet or grill pan over medium-high heat, melt 1 tablespoon butter; saute onion 6 to 8 minutes, or until it starts to brown. Remove to a bowl and cover. Shape beef into 2 …
- In a large skillet or grill pan over medium-high heat, melt 1 tablespoon butter; saute onion 6 to 8 minutes, or until it starts to brown. Remove to a bowl and cover.
- In the same skillet over medium heat, cook patties 5 to 7 minutes per side, or until no longer pink in center. Remove from skillet and keep warm.
- Spread remaining butter over one side of each slice of bread. Place in skillet buttered side down, and toast until lightly browned.
CLASSIC PATTY MELT RECIPE | SOUTHERN LIVING
2021-01-23 · Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a medium skillet over medium. Add onion and ½ teaspoon of the salt. Cook, stirring often, until golden brown and soft, about 20 minutes. Set …
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a medium skillet over medium. Add onion and 1/2 teaspoon of the salt. Cook, stirring often, until golden brown and soft, about 20 minutes. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, divide ground beef into 4 portions. Press each into a flat, 1/4-inch-thick patty. Sprinkle with pepper and remaining 1 teaspoon salt.
- Heat remaining 2 tablespoons oil in a large cast-iron skillet over medium-high. Cook 2 patties at a time, pressing gently, until browned but still pink in the center, 2 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate.
- Stir together mayonnaise, mustard, barbecue sauce, and ketchup in a small bowl until combined.
CHIPOTLE PATTY MELTS | EASY DINER FOOD RECIPE IDEA
Butter one side of the bread, and place butter side down in the skillet. Spoon on chipotle mayo, and a patty with melted cheese. Spoon some chipotle mayo on the other slice of bread, and …
- In a large mixing bowl, gently combine ground beef, A1 sauce, chipotle hot sauce, and worcestershire sauce.
- Over a cast iron skillet, melt 1 tablespoon of bacon grease or oil, and saute onions in a single layer until they begin to brown.
DINER STYLE PATTY MELT - STEFFANIE AT HOME
2020-12-09 · Heat a griddle pan or large saute pan over medium heat and add 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil. When the oil is hot, add the onions and season with a pinch of Kosher Salt. …
- To make The Best Burger Sauce, combine all ingredients and mix well. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- To shape the burgers, split the ground beef into 4 even balls. Roll and pack each ball tightly, then press the burgers out on parchment paper to a large round, roughly ½ inch thick. Thinner burgers are better for this. Cover and refrigerate until 30 minutes before you're ready to cook.
- Heat a griddle pan or large saute pan over medium heat and add 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil. When the oil is hot, add the onions and season with a pinch of Kosher Salt. Continue cooking over medium heat, stirring occasionally until the onions are golden brown and lightly caramelized. Leave a little crunch for texture. Set aside.
- Turn up the heat on the pan from the onions to medium-high. Liberally season both sides of the burgers and place evenly spaced on the griddle. Using your thumb, make an indent in the center of each patty to prevent puffing.If your pan is not large enough to space out the burgers, you'll want to cook in batches.Cook 5-8 minutes on each side depending on your desired doneness.
WHAT IS A PATTY MELT - THE BEST PLACES IN AMERICA TO EAT ...
2018-05-04 · The humble patty melt, found in diners across America, is experiencing a renaissance. The classic recipe—in which two pieces of buttered, toasted rye hug a flattop-seared hamburger patty with ...
RECIPE: HOW TO MAKE THE BEEFY, GOOEY, RIDICULOUSLY ...
2014-04-02 · 1. To prepare chili mayo, stir all ingredients in a medium bowl. Refrigerate until ready to use. Mayo will keep well, covered and refrigerated, for up to a week. 2. To prepare onions, heat oil in ...
CLASSIC DINER-STYLE PATTY MELTS | EASY WEEKNIGHT RECIPES
2021-11-27 · Diner-Style Patty Melts at Home! When I’m in need of a super easy meal that everyone will love, there are a few options that are basically irresistible. Sloppy joes are always popular. Pizza, of course. Chicken tenders. But, Patty Melts? Now those are guaranteed to make ME smile! There’s just something about a really tender, well-seasoned hamburger patty …
HOMEMADE PATTY MELT RECIPES THAT BEAT THE DINER'S | …
2020-07-08 · The ground beef patty melt is classic diner food. It's like a grilled cheese, but with major beefy benefits. It's the cheeseburger's fraternal twin brother. Of course, what separates the patty melt from a burger is the melt goes bun-free. Instead, the patty melt favors sandwich bread, which, when toasted, has a tremendous textural advantage over the burger bun. Butter …
19 MUST-MAKE PATTY MELT RECIPES - JUST A PINCH
The Very Best Patty Melt. “One of the only acceptable times to eat a sandwich for dinner, the very BEST Patty Melt recipe ever will impress even the pickiest family members. Rich, juicy burger patties are layered with melty Swiss cheese, caramelized onions and slathered with Thousand Island dressing. Sandwiched between buttery, toasted rye ...
DINER-STYLE PATTY MELT RECIPE | MOLLY YEH | FOOD NETWORK
DINER PATTY MELT ARCHIVES - STEFFANIE AT HOME
A classic Diner Style Patty Melt is basically the perfect burger. It has the ideal ratio of bread to meat to cheese to sauce to grilled onions. All toasted together to make crispy, cheesy deliciousness! What is a Patty Melt? The classic Patty Melt is … Main Dish - by Steffanie Bussey - 2 Comments. About Me. Hi there! Welcome to my humble little kitchen. Let's have some fun …
DINER-STYLE PATTY MELT | COOKING PROFESSIONALLY
Step 12. Heat the cast-iron skillet over medium heat. Step 13. Place the patty melts in the pan, gently pressing down, and toast until golden brown, about 2-3 minutes. Step 14. Carefully flip the patty, toasting the other side. Step 15. Cover the pan with a lid until the cheese melts. Step 16.
MOLLY YEH'S DINER-STYLE PATTY MELT | GIRL MEETS FARM ...
Molly builds her patty melts on garlic toast with two kinds of cheese and grilled peppers and onions, plus a swipe of caraway mayonnaise!Watch #GirlMeetsFarm...
DINER STYLE PATTY MELTS - YOUTUBE
Classic diner-style patty melts at home. Beef patties grilled on rye bread with Swiss cheese and caramelized onions. Get the full recipe at: http://thehungr...
THESE OLD-SCHOOL DINER FOODS WILL TAKE YOU BACK
MOLLY YEH'S DINER-STYLE PATTY MELT | GIRL MEETS FARM ...
2021-10-03 · Special equipment: a 2-burner griddle. Stir together the mayonnaise, mustard, caraway, 1/4 teaspoon of salt and several grinds of black pepper in a small bowl and set aside. Heat a 2-burner griddle over medium heat. Melt 1 tablespoon of the butter over the surface of the griddle. Add the onions and peppers and season with 1/4 teaspoon salt.
PATTY MELT – DINER FOOD AT HOME | GERRY'S ~ TAKE ON FOOD
2010-03-22 · I’m sorry but this is good eats, and reminds me of Woolworth’s, when they still had diner food downstairs. Anyway, I updated it a little and threw in a salad on the side. Looks good, don’tcha think? Mmmm . . . ~ GC “Gerry’s” famous Patty Melt. Ingredients. 8 slices Swiss cheese ; 1 lb ground beef ; 1 cup onions, sliced
11 GREAT PATTY MELTS FROM AROUND THE COUNTRY RECIPE | BON ...
PATTY MELT RECIPE (THE BEST-EVER RECIPE) | KITCHN
2021-12-22 · The patty melt has been having a bit of a resurgence in my life lately. A few months ago, I was eating at the Seawolfe Diner in my hometown of Kingston, Washington, when I encountered a juicy, flavorful, perfectly toasted patty melt. Their beef patty was thin, and the bread was toasty with little pockets of butter that would burst with every bite.
DENNYS PATTY MELT RECIPES
Patty Melt Recipe - Food.com tip www.food.com. A patty melt is a classic diner sandwich that consists of a thin patty of ground beef and melted cheese, traditionally Swiss but American cheese is great too, with grilled onions and toasted bread. This recipe has the addition of 1000 Island Dressing. Feel free to choose your choice of bread ...
THIS DINER-STYLE 'PATTY' MELT IS FULL OF CARAMELIZED ...
2021-05-12 · 6 tablespoons (3 ounces) unsalted butter, divided. 2 tablespoons olive oil. 10 ounces mushrooms, such as cremini mushrooms or baby bella, …