Every week I cook a dish from a different country just to keep things interesting. I came across this recipe in my search for an Egyptian meal that wasn't too exotic for our tastes but would still bring something new and tasty to the table. Well, it was a hit with my family and I figured I'd put it out there in an easier to access forum for anyone else looking to try something a little different. If you use 2lbs of fresh sweet potato you can cut down on some of the extra sweetness that comes from using canned sweet potatoes. I've done it both ways and prefer the fresh myself. You can make whatever adjustments that suit you. I hope you enjoy it as much as my family does.
Provided by Clarity148
Categories Savory Pies
Yield 4 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 17
Similar recipes "egyptian shepherds pie food"
Provided by Valerie Bertinelli
We stuck with tradition and made our shepherd's pie with lamb, but you could easily swap in ground beef. The saucy filling is packed with tender vegetables and the creamy topping is inspired by the Irish...
Provided by Food Network Kitchen
Make and share this Shepherds Pie recipe from Food.com.
Provided by Chef Gorete
More recipes about "egyptian shepherds pie food"
NO-FUSS SHEPHERD'S PIE RECIPE | BBC GOOD FOOD
2012-08-09 · STEP 2. When soft, turn up the heat, crumble in 500g lamb mince and brown, tipping off any excess fat. STEP 3. Add 2 tbsp tomato purée and a large splash …
- Heat 1 tbsp sunflower oil in a medium saucepan, then soften 1 chopped onion and 2-3 chopped carrots for a few mins.
SHEPHERD'S PIE - MY FOOD AND FAMILY
2. Heat oven to 375°F. Drain potatoes; return to pan. Add sour cream; mash until potatoes are smooth and mixture is well blended. Stir in 1/4 cup cheese. 3. Spoon …
- Cook potatoes and garlic in boiling water in large saucepan 20 min. or until potatoes are tender. Meanwhile, brown meat in large nonstick skillet. Stir in flour; cook and stir 1 min. Add mixed vegetables, broth and ketchup; cook 5 min., stirring frequently.
- Heat oven to 375°F. Drain potatoes; return to pan. Add sour cream; mash until potatoes are smooth and mixture is well blended. Stir in 1/4 cup cheese.
THE ULTIMATE MAKEOVER: SHEPHERD'S PIE RECIPE | BBC GOOD FOOD
2011-02-14 · Spoon the meat into a 1.5 litre pie dish and remove the thyme sprigs. Top with the mash and smooth over with a knife. Use a fork to create a ridged pattern on …
- Heat the oil in a large, deep sauté pan or saucepan. Tip in the onion and thyme sprigs and fry for 2-3 mins. Then add the carrots and fry together for 5-8 mins, stirring occasionally until the vegetables start to brown. Stir in the mince to break it down. Fry for 1-2 mins until no longer pink. Stir in the flour, scraping the bottom of the pan in case the meat sticks, then cook for another 1-2 mins. Pour in the stock and stir until thickened. Stir in the tomatoes, tomato purée, lentils and Worcestershire sauce and season with pepper. Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, for 45 mins, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, prepare the topping. Drop all the potatoes into a large pan of boiling water. Bring back to the boil, then simmer for 12-15 mins or until the potatoes are tender. Drain well in a colander then tip back into the pan. Mash with a masher or, briefly, with an electric hand mixer until smooth. Beat in the crème fraîche and milk with a wooden spoon until light and fluffy. Heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6.
- Spoon the meat into a 1.5 litre pie dish and remove the thyme sprigs. Top with the mash and smooth over with a knife. Use a fork to create a ridged pattern on top. Place the dish on a baking sheet and bake for about 20-25 mins until piping hot and the filling starts to bubble around the edges. If the top is not brown enough, pop it under the grill for 5 mins or so until the mash is crisp and golden. Let it sit for 5 mins then serve.
GORDON RAMSAY'S SHEPHERD'S PIE RECIPE - FOOD.COM
2008-02-06 · Prepare the filling:. Add 2 T grated Parmesan cheese. Cover, set aside, keep warm while preparing beef. In a large skillet, heat olive oil, stir fry beef until no …
- Place potatoes in a pot, add enough water to cover, add salt, cook for 15 minutes or until tender when pierced with a fork. Drain potatoes and mash (I prefer using a ricer). Warm the cream and butter then add to the mashed potatoes. Season with salt, then beat with a wooden spoon or hand beater for 1 minute until fluffy. Do not overbeat or it might turn gummy.
EGYPTIAN SPINACH PIE WITH HAZELNUT DUKKAH - FOOD NETWORK
2018-01-03 · Let cool. Raise the oven temperature to 400 degrees F. Meanwhile, toast the coriander and cumin seeds in a saute pan over medium heat, about 1 minute. …
THE BEST SHEPHERD'S PIE - THIS IS NOT DIET FOOD
2018-10-18 · Instructions. Preheat oven to 400F. Brown the ground beef in a large frying pan, over medium-high heat, with a dab of butter or margarine. Add the diced onions, …
BEST EVER AMERICAN SHEPHERD'S PIE RECIPE RECIPE - FOOD.COM
2007-03-04 · Add garlic, salt, pepper, worcestershire and flour. Cook for 1 minute. Add beef broth/stock and then heavy cream. Stir in beans. Pour into 11x17 inch pan. top …
INDIVIDUAL TURKEY SHEPHERD'S PIE RECIPE | FOOD NETWORK ...
2016-11-16 · Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Heat the oil in a medium ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat. Add the garlic, carrots and onions; cook until tender …
EASY SHEPHERD'S PIE - MY FOOD AND FAMILY
Heat oven to 375ºF. 2. Brown meat in large skillet; drain. Return meat to skillet. Add mixed vegetables and gravy; mix well. 3. Spoon into 9-inch square baking dish …
SHEPHERD'S PIE RECIPE - BBC FOOD
Method. In a large saucepan, heat the dripping. Add the onion and cook for 5 minutes. Meanwhile, in a large frying pan, heat the olive oil and fry the mince, stirring, until …
CLASSIC SHEPHERD'S PIE | ALLRECIPES
Twist 1: For a zestier flavour, stir 1 tsp (5 mL) prepared horseradish and 1/4 tsp (1 mL) cayenne pepper into the meat mixture. Twist 2: For a meatless version, substitute 4 cups (1L) chopped mushrooms for the meat. Twist 3: For a pork version, ground pork can …
SHEPHERD’S PIE - CANADA'S FOOD GUIDE
Directions. Wash and cube potatoes. Place potatoes in a large pot of water and bring to a boil. Cook until the potatoes are soft, about 10 minutes and then drain. Lightly coat a non-stick pan with cooking spray or oil and heat over medium-high heat. Add onions and …
THE BEST SHEPHERD'S PIE RECIPE EVER! - SALADS FOR LUNCH
2019-10-04 · Preheat the oven 350 F degrees. Prepare the mashed potatoes: Drain the potatoes then add them to a large bowl. Add in the butter and using a potato masher, mash until smooth. Add the …
- Boil the potatoes: Start by first cooking the potatoes in boiling water for about 15 minutes or until fork tender. While the potatoes are cooking, you can prepare the meat mixture.
- Prepare the meat mixture: Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the ground beef to the skillet, season it with the salt and pepper and cook it for abut 5 minutes or until it's no longer pink, breaking it up as you go along.
- Add the onion and garlic and cook for 3 more minutes until the onion softens and becomes translucent. Add the onion soup mix, beef broth and stir.
- Stir in the corn and carrots and cook for a couple more minutes. Set aside. Be sure to drain the corn before adding to the meat mixture.
CLASSIC SHEPHERD'S PIE RECIPE - BBC FOOD
- Place one tablespoon of the oil into a frying pan over a medium heat and fry the onions until softened and beginning to turn golden-brown. Remove them from the pan and set aside.
- Add the carrots and celery and fry until softened and starting to turn golden-brown. Remove and set aside with the onions.
- Heat the remaining tablespoon of oil and 50g/2oz of the butter and allow the butter to foam. Add the minced lamb or mutton, stirring it until it browns.
- Mash the potatoes with the remaining butter in a clean bowl. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper and add the fried onions.
- Transfer the meat into an ovenproof dish. Spread it out to make an even layer. Spoon over the mashed potato and tease the surface with a fork to create some peaks.
- Place the dish into the oven and bake for 30 minutes, or until the topping is golden-brown and crisp. Serve at the table in the dish.
CHEF JOHN'S SHEPHERD'S PIE | ALLRECIPES
2012-01-26 · Place cubed potatoes and garlic in a large pot with enough water to cover. Bring to a boil over high heat; reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until tender, about 20 minutes. …
- Place cubed potatoes and garlic in a large pot with enough water to cover. Bring to a boil over high heat; reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until tender, about 20 minutes.
CLASSIC SHEPHERD'S PIE RECIPE - THE FOOD CHARLATAN
2018-08-18 · Recipe looks delicious but please know that according to my Irish friends and family, this is cottage pie, not shepherd’s pie. They are identical but, shepherd’s pie is made with lamb, while …
- Add the chopped potatoes and make sure the water covers them.Bring to a boil, covered, over high heat.
- Reduce the heat to medium and continue boiling for about 20-25 minutes, until the potatoes are fork tender.Drain the potatoes and return to the pot.Add 1/2 cup butter.
- Mash with a potato masher or mixer until they are as smooth as you like them.Stir in sour cream, milk, 1 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper, seasoning salt, garlic powder, and onion powder.
OUR TOP 12 SHEPHERD'S PIE RECIPES | ALLRECIPES
2020-08-13 · Our Top 12 Shepherd's Pie Recipes. These shepherd's pie recipes run the range from the traditional (featuring ground or minced lamb) to the modestly modified (ground beef instead of lamb) to the more modern and experimental (vegan or paleo shepherd's pies). You can't go wrong with any of these savory one-pot comfort-food casseroles, complete ...
VEGETARIAN SHEPHERD'S PIE
Shepherd’s pie season is upon us and this super cozy vegetarian version is calling your name! Made with saucy mushrooms, carrots, and peas topped with creamy mashed potatoes, this comfort dish will be a family favourite and you won't even miss the meat. SERVES. 6 TO. 8. 1H. Ingredients Veggie Mixture . 4 tablespoons butter 1 large yellow onion, finely chopped 12-14 cups assorted mushrooms ...
ST. PATRICK’S DAY SPECIAL: IRISH SHEPHERD’S PIE (THE REAL ...
2012-03-05 · Shepherd's pie was the first dish I ever made on my own <3 needless to say this version looks much better, not just because of the awesome pattern you slavishly forked into the potato. So I'm moving house soon and I use a gas burner, like you, at the moment but …
SHEPHERDS PIE RECIPES : FOOD NETWORK | FOOD NETWORK
Learn how to prepare rich and flavorful shepherd's pie with Food Network's amazing recipes. Keep it traditional or kick it up a notch with fun, creative twists.
SHEPHERD'S PIE RECIPES | ALLRECIPES
This is a combination of my favorite corned beef and cabbage recipe, and my favorite shepherd's pie recipe. It involves a few extra steps when compared to your traditional boiled beef dinner, but the payoff at the end is well worth the extra effort. By layering the ingredients in a casserole dish, each serving has the perfect proportions of beef, cabbage, carrots, and potatoes.
SHEPHERD'S PIE RECIPES | BBC GOOD FOOD
Vegan shepherd's pie. A star rating of 4.2 out of 5. 117 ratings. A warming vegan supper with porcini mushrooms, leeks, carrots, and butternut squash, topped with crispy potatoes. It's low calorie, low fat, and perfect for when the nights draw in. 1 hr 50 mins.
SHEPHERDS PIE RECIPES - FOOD.COM
Turkey Sweet Potato Shepherd's Pie. “A twist on the shepherds pie. Sweet comfort food! This is made with sweet potatoes and ground turkey, and a good hint of curry! Good to make with your leftover Thanksgiving sweet potatoes and turkey!”. -Rita1652.
LIGHTEN UP SHEPHERD'S PIE WITH BEEF AND CAULIFLOWER ...
2017-11-22 · 1 pound 90 per cent lean ground beef. Place the frozen cauliflower floret, broth and garlic together in a medium saucepan over high heat and bring to …