- 1. Peel, salt, and rinse the eggplant if desired (see note "Preparing Eggplant for Cooking" below).
- 2. Place potatoes in a pot and add enough water to cover them. Over medium-high heat bring them to a boil and boil lightly for 5 minutes. Cool, cut into 1/8-inch slices, and set aside.
- 3. Heat about 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat until it shimmers. Add the eggplant to the hot oil a few slices at a time and sautéthe eggplant slices, turning as necessary, until tender and lightly colored, 2 to 3 minutes on each side. Transfer to a rack to drain while you sauté the remaining eggplant, adding more oil to the skillet as necessary.
- 4. To prepare a meat sauce: Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a skillet. Add the onion and cook over medium high heat, stirring frequently, until tender, 10 to 12 minutes. Add the ground meat and cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until the meat loses its raw appearance, about 5 minutes. Add the tomatoes, garlic, cloves, cinnamon, bay leaf, allspice, salt, pepper, and about 1/2 cup water. Simmer until thick and flavorful, about 30 minutes. Add the tomato paste and red wine and continue simmering until the wine has developed a sweet aroma, about 10 minutes.
- 5. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- 6. To assemble the moussaka: Scatter the bread crumbs in a deep, rectangular baking dish. Place a layer of half of the eggplant slices over the bread crumbs. Add the meat sauce and spread it into an even layer. Place an even layer of sliced potatoes over the sauce. Add the remaining eggplant in an even layer over the meat sauce. Pour the cheese sauce over the eggplant. Bake, uncovered, until the cheese sauce is thick and golden brown and the eggplant is very tender, about 45 minutes. Let the moussaka rest for about 20 minutes before cutting and serving.
Similar recipes "lamb and eggplant moussaka food"
This recipe is quick and easy and any novice cook can do it. It was made for the little ones who always wanted to order out at Pizza Hut® or Olive Garden®. Serve with additional Parmesan cheese if desired....
Provided by hkopinions
From "Flavors of Paraguay, A Cookbook, 101 Authentic Paraguayan Recipes" written and edited by Lynn Van Houten.
Provided by threeovens
Provided by Giada De Laurentiis
Salmon poke bowls are easy to make in your own home! Buy your favorite toppings and enjoy a totally custom poke bowl for cheaper than buying it at a restaurant.
Provided by A Day In the Kitchen
Moist banana bread for the bread machine. All the flavor less of the work!
Provided by Barbara
I fix this creamy dessert whenever I need a no-fuss treat. Friends are surprised to hear that it's made in the microwave because the soft banana filling and thick buttery crust taste like I slaved over...
Provided by Taste of Home
Provided by Food Network Kitchen
Provided by Jamie Oliver
These are the best soft gingersnaps. I always get requests for this recipe.
Provided by DEATRICH81
This tasty recipe came about by experimenting in my kitchen. I'm a grandmother and great-grandmother, and when I'm not baking for relatives or friends, I'm busy tending my cherry orchard or skiing, bowling...
Provided by Taste of Home
More recipes about "lamb and eggplant moussaka food"
EGGPLANT AND POTATO MOUSSAKA RECIPE | FOOD NETWORK
2017-03-01 · Place the eggplant slices in a large bowl and cover with water. Add 1/2 cup of salt and agitate gently to combine. Let stand for 20 minutes, then …
- Place the eggplant slices in a large bowl and cover with water. Add 1/2 cup of salt and agitate gently to combine. Let stand for 20 minutes, then drain and pat dry with paper towels.
- While the eggplant is soaking, heat 1/2 cup of the olive oil in a large skillet and, working in batches, add the potato slices and cook until lightly golden on both sides, 3 to 4 minutes. Transfer to a paper-lined plate to drain and repeat with any remaining potato slices. Season lightly with salt.
- Place 1 cup of the flour in a bowl and dredge the eggplant slices in the flour. Shake to remove any excess flour. Add 1/4 cup of the remaining oil to the skillet and, working in batches, fry the eggplant slices until golden on both sides, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Add more oil to the skillet as needed in 1/4 cup increments. Repeat until all eggplant has been cooked. Transfer to a paper-lined plate to drain.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the butter in a large skillet and, when melted, add the onions. Cook until tender, about 4 minutes. Add the ground meats, garlic, and oregano and cook, stirring to break up any lumps, until meat is browned, 4 to 6 minutes. Add the red wine and cook until evaporated. Add the tomato paste and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the crushed tomatoes, water and parsley and cook, stirring occasionally, until almost all liquid is evaporated, 5 to 10 minutes. Season, to taste, with salt and pepper and set aside.
BEST GREEK MOUSSAKA (EGGPLANT CASSEROLE) | THE ...
2021-10-17 · What is moussaka? The epitome of Greek comfort food, moussaka (pronounced moo-sa-ka’a) is a hearty eggplant casserole with a juicy, flavor …
- Spread the eggplant slices in one layer and sprinkle with salt. Let set for 30 minutes to "sweat out" its bitterness.
- Pat the eggplant slices dry and assemble in one layer on a lightly oiled baking sheet. Drizzle generously with olive oil. Place the baking sheet on the top oven rack and broil briefly, turning over so that both sides of the eggplant are softened and golden brown (do not worry if parts of the eggplant are slightly charred, but watch carefully so it doesn't burn). Remove from the oven and set aside.
- Heat 2 tbsp olive oil in a skillet. Cook the onions on medium heat until they turn slightly golden brown, stirring regularly (about 5 minutes). Now add the ground lamb. Cook the lamb until fully browned, tossing regularly. Drain the lamb from any excess fat and return back to the skillet. Now add the dried oregano, ground cinnamon, pepper, nutmeg, and hot paprika. Stir to coat the meat with the spices. Add the wine and boil for 1 minute to reduce. Stir in the canned tomatoes, sugar and broth. Simmer on medium-low heat for 30 minutes.
MOUSSAKA (GREEK BEEF AND EGGPLANT LASAGNA) | RECIPETIN EATS
2019-03-29 · Recipe video above. A traditional recipe for an iconic Greek dish from a wonderful cookbook called The Food And Cooking Of Greece by Sara …
- Place eggplant slightly overlapping in a large colander. Sprinkle with some salt. Repeat with remaining eggplant.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet or pot over high heat, then cook the garlic and onion for 2 minutes.
EASY EGGPLANT MOUSSAKA RECIPE - GREEK.FOOD.COM
2018-04-15 · Drain the meat if desired and return to pan. Add in the eggplant, potatoes, onion, garlic, oregano, cinnamon and basil. Simmer covered about 15 …
- In a large pan, cook the meat over medium-high heat until brown, breaking it up with a potato masher as it cooks. If using ground sirloin you might need to add a touch of oil.
- Drain the meat if desired and return to pan. Add in the eggplant, potatoes, onion, garlic, oregano, cinnamon and basil. Simmer covered about 15 minutes. Remove lid, turn heat to medium-high and add in wine. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes or until it evaporates. Stir in tomatoes, olives and simmer to reduce juices, season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 2 quart casserole with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- For the Bechamel sauce, place the melted butter in a medium size saucepan. Whisk in flour and cook for a minute. Add milk, bring to a boil and continue to wisk until thickened. Remove from heat.
MOUSSAKA RECIPE | BON APPéTIT
2017-09-23 · Heat 2 Tbsp. lamb fat in same pot over medium-high (reserve remaining 1 Tbsp. lamb fat for assembling the moussaka). Add onion, …
- Place a rack in middle of oven; preheat to 475°. Whisk half of the garlic, ½ cup oil, 1 Tbsp. mint, and 1 Tbsp. oregano in a small bowl. Brush both sides of eggplant rounds with herb oil, making sure to get all the herbs and garlic onto eggplant; season with salt and pepper. Transfer eggplant to a rimmed baking sheet (it’s okay to pile the rounds on top of each other) and roast until tender and browned, 35–45 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 400°.
- Meanwhile, heat remaining 2 Tbsp. oil in a large wide pot over high. Cook lamb, breaking up with a spoon, until browned on all sides and cooked through and liquid from meat is evaporated (there will be a lot of rendered fat), 12–16 minutes. Strain fat through a fine-mesh sieve into a clean small bowl and transfer lamb to a medium bowl. Reserve 3 Tbsp. lamb fat; discard remaining fat.
- Heat 2 Tbsp. lamb fat in same pot over medium-high (reserve remaining 1 Tbsp. lamb fat for assembling the moussaka). Add onion, cinnamon, 2½ tsp. salt, and ½ tsp. pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is tender and translucent, 8–10 minutes. Add chiles and remaining garlic and cook, scraping up any browned bits from the bottom of the pot, until onion is golden brown, about 5 minutes. Add paprika and tomato paste and cook until brick red in color, about 1 minute. Add wine and cook, stirring occasionally, until slightly reduced and no longer smells of alcohol, about 3 minutes. Add tomatoes and break up with a wooden spoon into small pieces (the seeds will shoot out at you if you’re too aggressive, so start slowly—puncture the tomato, then get your smash and break on!). Add lamb and remaining 1 Tbsp. mint and 1 Tbsp. oregano and cook, stirring occasionally, until most of the liquid is evaporated and mixture looks like a thick meat sauce, 5–7 minutes. Pluck out and discard ci
- Heat butter in a medium saucepan over medium until foaming. Add flour and cook, whisking constantly, until combined, about 1 minute. Whisk in warm milk and bring sauce to a boil. Cook béchamel, whisking often, until very thick (it should have the consistency of pudding), about 5 minutes; stir in salt. Remove from heat and whisk in farmer cheese and half of the Pecorino. Let sit 10 minutes for cheese to melt, then add egg yolks and vigorously whisk until combined and béchamel is golden yellow.
LAMB MOUSSAKA - HEALTHY FOOD GUIDE
2017-07-12 · Add lamb mince, garlic and oregano. Cook, stirring, for 2–3 minutes, or until mince is almost browned. Add courgette and potato and cook for 2–3 …
- Preheat oven to 220°C. Spray an 18cm x 28cm rectangular baking dish with olive oil and line a large baking tray with baking paper.
- Place eggplant in a single layer on the prepared tray. Spray with olive oil and season with cracked black pepper. Bake for 10 minutes, or until just tender.
- Spray a large non-stick frying pan with olive oil and set over medium heat. Add lamb mince, garlic and oregano. Cook, stirring, for 2–3 minutes, or until mince is almost browned. Add courgette and potato and cook for 2–3 minutes, or until the courgette is softened.
- Spread 1 cup of passata in the base of prepared baking dish. Spread over half of the mince mixture and top with half of the eggplant slices. Spread over remaining meat sauce and a final layer of eggplant. Finish with remaining tomato pasta sauce.
MOUSSAKA RECIPE | BOBBY FLAY | FOOD NETWORK
2016-11-18 · Heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil in a 6-quart saucepan over high heat. Add the lamb, cinnamon, ginger, allspice, cayenne, and salt and pepper …
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil in a 6-quart saucepan over high heat. Add the lamb, cinnamon, ginger, allspice, cayenne, and salt and pepper and cook, stirring to break up the meat, until browned, about 5 minutes. Transfer the lamb to a large strainer set over a bowl and drain; discard any liquid left in the pan. Return the pan to the heat and add the remaining 3 tablespoons olive oil and heat until it begins to shimmer. Add the onions and bell pepper and cook until soft, about 5 minutes. Add the serrano and garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add the tomato paste and cook for 1 minute.
- Return the lamb to the pan, add the wine, and cook, stirring occasionally, until almost completely evaporated, about 5 minutes. Add the tomato puree and currants and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer until thickened, about 30 minutes. Stir in the parsley and oregano and season with salt and pepper and honey, if needed. Remove from the heat.
- For the eggplant: Heat the canola oil in a 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat. Season the eggplant slices on both sides with salt and pepper. Working in batches, add the eggplant slices and fry until tender and lightly golden brown on both sides, about 5 minutes. Transfer the eggplant slices to paper towels.
TRADITIONAL MOUSSAKA RECIPE WITH EGGPLANTS (AUBERGINES ...
2013-05-14 · Moussaka is a traditional Greek eggplant casserole made with baked or pan fried eggplants (aubergines) and potatoes, a rich, tomatoey beef …
- To prepare this Greek moussaka recipe, begin by preparing the eggplants. Remove the stalks from the eggplants and cut them into slices, 1 cm thick. Season with salt and place in a colander for about half an hour.
- and squeeze with your hands, to get rid of the excessive water. Pat them dry and fry in plenty of oil, until nicely colored. Place the fried eggplants on some paper, in order to absorb the oil. (For a lighter version of the traditional Greek moussaka try drizzling the aubergines with some olive oil and bake them for 20 minutes instead of frying them). Set aside when done.
- If you are adding potatoes to your moussaka, now its time to slice them into 0.5cm, half a finger width slices. Fry them or bake them in the same way as the eggplants. Season with some salt and set them aside when done.
- for the moussaka. Heat a large pan to medium-high heat and add the olive oil. Stir in the chopped onions and sauté, until softened and slightly colored. Stir in the mince breaking it up with a wooden spoon and sauté. When it starts to brown, add the the garlic and tomato paste and sauté until the garlic starts to soften. Pour in the red wine to deglaze the meat juices and wait to evaporate. Add the tinned tomatoes, the sugar, a pinch of cinnamon, 1 bay leaf and a good pinch of salt and pepper. Bring to the boil then turn the heat down and simmer with the lid on for about 30 minutes or until most of the juices have evaporated. Set aside when done.
WHEN YOU NEED EXTREME COMFORT, MAKE THIS MOUSSAKA | …
2017-09-24 · Make this addicting moussaka recipe with eggplant, a classic Greek casserole under a blanket of béchamel. Read about the ingredients that will …
CLASSIC GREEK EGGPLANT MOUSSAKA RECIPE
2010-05-29 · It's made with layers of eggplant, potato, meaty lamb sauce, and cheese topped with an egg-enriched béchamel sauce that crisps up and …
YOTAM OTTOLENGHI’S MOUSSAKA - THE IRISH TIMES
2019-05-13 · Method. Step 1 Heat the oven to 240 Celsius.Add the aubergine, lamb, onion, oregano, oil, tomato paste, garlic, cinnamon, allspice, red-pepper …
LAMB MOUSSAKA RECIPE | MAGGIE BEER
Step 8: To make the moussaka, spray an oven proof dish with non-stick cooking spray or a little Extra Virgin Olive Oil. Place a layer of eggplant on the bottom of the dish and then a layer of lamb mince over this. Continue to alternate …
LAMB AND EGGPLANT SHEPHERD'S PIE | CONFESSIONS OF A ...
2020-11-04 · This lamb eggplant cottage pie is a kind of mashup between Moussaka and Shepherd's pie. I went for a tomato based sauce in the tradition of an Italian bolognese, but …
- Place cubed eggplant in a colander over the sink. Sprinkle with several 5 finger pinches of salt and toss to mix. Weight down with plates and rest for at least 30 minutes. *If you can't fit plates in your colander, occasionally stop by and press the eggplant with the palm of your hand to press out excess water.
- Heat oil in dutch oven or large saucepan until shimmering. Add lamb and a generous pinch of salt. Cook lamb, breaking it up with a metal spoon or spatula, until cooked through. There will be a decent amount of fat at the bottom. Remove all but about a tablespoon using a spoon.Add mirepoix (carrots, celery and onion) and stir to coat. Add another pinch of salt to encourage sweating. Cook, stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes, or until vegetables are beginning to soften. Add garlic, stirring often. Cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.Add wine and scrape up any fond left on the bottom of the pan. Allow to simmer until wine is reduced by about half.Add tomatoes (with juice), cream, and spices. Stir to incorporate, then allow to simmer on low-medium until juices are mostly evaporated.
- Preheat oven to 425F.Do a final press on eggplant to remove any last liquid. Rinse thoroughly with cold water (this will remove any bitterness from the eggplant), then press one more time.Place eggplant on a parchment lined sheet pan, then toss with oil, mint, oregano, and salt & pepper. Spread into a single layer, leaving as much space as possible between pieces to allow for roasting rather than steaming. *If you do not have a full half sheet pan sized cookie sheet, you may need to use two sheet pans.Roast for about 15 minutes, then flip the pieces and return to the oven for 10-15 minutes. Reduce oven heat to 350F.
- While the eggplant is roasting, place diced and peeled potatoes in a stock pot with salted water. Put the potatoes to boil, cooking until fork tender. Drain.Add butter to pot and allow to melt. Mash potatoes with butter, then add cream if necessary. Season with salt & pepper to taste.
MOUSSAKA RECIPE - QUICK FROM SCRATCH ONE-DISH MEALS | …
2019-09-16 · Put the eggplant slices on a large baking sheet and broil, 6 inches from the heat, until browned, about 5 minutes. Turn and broil until browned on the other side, about 5 …
- Heat the broiler. In a large stainless-steel frying pan, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil over moderate heat. Add the onion and garlic; cook until starting to soften, about 3 minutes. Add the lamb and cook until the meat loses its pink color, about 2 minutes. Stir in the wine, tomato paste, tomatoes, bay leaf, cinnamon, allspice, 3/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat. Simmer, covered, for 10 minutes.
- Brush both sides of the eggplant slices with the remaining 5 tablespoons oil and season with 1/8 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Put the eggplant slices on a large baking sheet and broil, 6 inches from the heat, until browned, about 5 minutes. Turn and broil until browned on the other side, about 5 minutes longer.
- In a small saucepan, combine the cream cheese, milk, 1/8 teaspoon salt, and a pinch of pepper. Warm over low heat until just melted.
- Oil an 8-by-8-inch baking dish. Layer half the eggplant in the dish, then half the meat sauce. Sprinkle with half the Parmesan. Repeat with the remaining eggplant, meat sauce, and Parmesan. Spoon the cream-cheese sauce on top; broil until just starting to brown, 1 to 2 minutes.
MOUSSAKA RECIPE - GREEK.FOOD.COM
2008-10-01 · Sprinkle with breadcrumbs and grated cheese. Repeat as many times as you have eggplant to last. Pour the Bechamel-ricotta sauce over the top and bake at 300 deg. F for one …
- First make the tomato sauce: peel and mince onions. Saute onions in 2 Tbsp oil and 2 Tbsp butter, over moderate heat, until they are soft and lightly colored (about 8 minutes). Add mush- rooms and saute. Stir in tomatoes, tomato paste, wine, parsley, seasonings and sugar.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer uncovered, for 30-45 minutes, stirring occasionally, until most of the liquid has evaporated, and the mixture is quite thick. Remove skillet from heat and let it cool completely.
- Start seasoning the eggplants: peel eggplants and slice vertically, 1/8 to 1/4 inch thick. Sprinkle lightly with salt and let sit for 30 minutes.
- Now make the Bechamel Sauce. NOTE: The Bechamel-egg-ricotta mixture will overflow all but the largest (professional size) food processors. Use a mixer or blend by hand.Place the milk in a saucepan, and heat it just until tiny bubbles appear along the edges. Remove and set aside.
LAMB MOUSSAKA RECIPE | MYRECIPES
1999-06-01 · Pour 4 cups lamb mixture over eggplant, and sprinkle with 1 tablespoon cheese. Arrange remaining eggplant over cheese, and top with the remaining lamb mixture. Sprinkle …
- To prepare lamb mixture, cook lamb in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat until browned; stir to crumble. Remove from pan; drain. Set aside. Wipe skillet with paper towels.
- Add onion to pan coated with cooking spray; sauté 5 minutes. Add lamb, currants, and next 7 ingredients (currants through garlic); bring to a boil. Cook until thick (about 30 minutes).
- To prepare sauce, cook 1 1/2 cups milk and butter in a heavy saucepan over medium-high heat to 180° or until tiny bubbles form around edge (do not boil). Remove from heat. Combine 1/2 cup milk, egg whites, flour, and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a large bowl; gradually add the hot milk mixture to the egg white mixture, stirring constantly with a whisk. Return milk mixture to pan, and cook until thick (about 15 minutes), stirring constantly. Remove from heat.
LEFTOVER GREEK LAMB MOUSSAKA - JUST A LITTLE BIT OF BACON
2017-03-30 · Assembling and Baking the Moussaka. Preheat the oven to 400F. Grease a 9x13 casserole dish, or similar size. Layer 1/3 of the eggplant, then 1/3 of the meat sauce, then 2 …
- While the eggplant is salting, make the meat sauce. Heat the olive oil over medium-low heat in a large skillet. Add the onion and garlic and saute for 7-10 minutes, until the onion is soft and translucent. Add all the rest of the meat sauce ingredients - lamb, tomatoes, tomato paste, oregano, cinnamon, allspice, cayenne, salt, pepper, brandy, and wine. Taste the sauce and see if you want anymore spices and add a dash or two accordingly.
RECIPETIN EATS X GOOD FOOD: PULLED LAMB MOUSSAKA
2021-03-29 · Eggplant. 750g medium to large eggplant, sliced into 1cm thick rounds (skin on) 2-3 tbsp olive oil. 1 tsp salt. Moussaka meat sauce. 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil. 1 onion, brown, …
- 1. To prepare eggplants, place a layer of slices in a large colander, slightly overlapping. Sprinkle with salt. Place a second layer on top and repeat with remaining eggplant.
- 2. Set aside for 30 minutes, then pat dry with paper towels or clean tea towels. Be sure to do this well, otherwise the eggplant is too salty.
- 4. Place eggplant on 2 oven trays lined with baking paper. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until eggplant is lightly browned and softened. The eggplant on the bottom tray may need a few more minutes.
EGGPLANT MOUSSAKA WITH LAMB - QUICK & EASY DINNERS ...
2020-03-29 · To Bake the Moussaka. Bring out the eggplant from the oven and pour over the lamb & tomato sauce. Bake in the middle of the oven for 20 minutes. After 20 minutes, raise …
- Set the oven for 200°C/400°F and and bring out a deep oven dish that's about 20x25 cm or 8x10''.
- To start the sauce, place a frying pan over medium-high heat and add in the butter and the olive oil for the sauce. When hot and the butter is melted, add in the chopped onion and garlic and fry for about 2 minutes until softened.
- Bring out the eggplant from the oven and pour over the lamb & tomato sauce. Bake in the middle of the oven for 20 minutes.
ROASTED EGGPLANT MOUSSAKA WITH LAMB RECIPE | FOOD & …
2021-08-19 · Heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil in a large saucepan over medium-high. Add lamb and cinnamon stick; cook, stirring occasionally and breaking up lamb, until lamb just begins to brown, about 12 minutes.
LAMB AND EGGPLANT CASSEROLE (MOUSSAKA) RECIPE | …
2012-10-03 · 1. Place the eggplant in a colander, toss liberally with salt, and let sit for about 1 hour to drain away extra water. Squeeze out the excess water and pat dry with a kitchen towel.
MOUSSAKA - SIMPLY DELICIOUS
2021-10-15 · Assemble the Moussaka: Place a layer of potatoes in the bottom of a 32cm/12.5in baking dish. Add half of the eggplant then add all of the meat sauce. Top with the remaining eggplant, the bechamel sauce and a generous handful of Parmesan. Bake: Place in the oven and allow to bake for 45-60 minutes until golden brown and bubbling.
THE HISTORY OF MOUSSAKA: A DELICIOUS TASTE OF GREECE
2017-05-12 · One food historian claims a 13 th-century Arabic cookbook known as the Baghdad Cookery Book details a recipe which could very well be the ancestor of moussaka. Today, moussaka is a common dish in Lebanon and the Arab world, a version that consists of eggplants, olive oil, garlic, onions and tomatoes. In 1910, Nikolas Tselementes, one of the most influential …
WHOLE EGGPLANT AND LAMB MOUSSAKA RECIPE | GREEK RECIPES ...
Place the butter and flour in saucepan and cook for 3-4 minutes or until light golden in colour. Add the milk and cook, stirring continuously, until thickened. Stir in the nutmeg, paprika, salt ...
LAMB MOUSSAKA RECIPE JAMIE OLIVER WITH INGREDIENTS ...
Heat 2 Tbsp. lamb fat in same pot over medium-high (reserve remaining 1 Tbsp. lamb fat for assembling the moussaka). Add onion, cinnamon, 2½ tsp. salt, and ½ tsp. pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is tender and translucent, 8–10 minutes. Add chiles and remaining garlic and cook, scraping up any browned bits from the bottom of the pot, until onion is golden …
LAMB EGGPLANT MOUSSAKA - SHIRLEY PLANT
2014-12-15 · In a bowl mix lamb, onions, garlic and seasonings. Cover and let sit in the fridge for the day; Add a little olive oil to a large pot and cook lamb mixture for a few minutes. Add in peppers, eggplant, celery, and tomatoes. Bring to a boil and then simmer for 30 minutes; In another pot steam cabbage until soft
MOUSSAKA - SAVEUR: AUTHENTIC RECIPES, FOOD, DRINKS, TRAVEL ...
2010-01-18 · A good moussaka—a baked casserole of eggplant, zucchini, tomatoes, and minced lamb or beef under a lush layer of béchamel sauce—is one of …
KOKKARI’S MOUSSAKA OR LAMB AND EGGPLANT CASSEROLE RECIPE ...
2020-05-31 · Sliced the eggplant and salted it to get the moisture out. For the recipe, you pre-cook the eggplant and slices of potatoes by roasting in the oven. In the cookbook, Kokkari calls it “lamb and eggplant casserole with custard topping” because it is probably hard to describe moussaka. It’s reminds me of lasagna because of the layering ...