These are the ones my grandmother used to make: warm, flaky, apple-y sweet and drizzled with a sauce that bakes right with them. These are not difficult to make, just a little time-consuming. Serve warm with whipped cream or ice cream.
Provided by MICKI WOOD
Number Of Ingredients 9
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Butter a 9x13 inch pan.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll pastry into a large rectangle, about 24 by 16 inches. Cut into 6 square pieces. Place an apple on each pastry square with the cored opening facing upward. Cut butter into 8 pieces. Place 1 piece of butter in the opening of each apple; reserve remaining butter for sauce. Divide brown sugar between apples, poking some inside each cored opening and the rest around the base of each apple. Sprinkle cinnamon and nutmeg over the apples.
- With slightly wet fingertips, bring one corner of pastry square up to the top of the apple, then bring the opposite corner to the top and press together. Bring up the two remaining corners, and seal. Slightly pinch the dough at the sides to completely seal in the apple. Repeat with the remaining apples. Place in prepared baking dish.
- In a saucepan, combine water, white sugar, vanilla extract and reserved butter. Place over medium heat, and bring to a boil in a large saucepan. Boil for 5 minutes, or until sugar is dissolved. Carefully pour over dumplings.
- Bake in preheated oven for 50 to 60 minutes. Place each apple dumpling in a dessert bowl, and spoon some sauce over the top.
Similar recipes "old fashioned apple dumplings"
A great side salad for any Puerto Rican meal. You can add cilantro to the dressing, if desired.
Provided by mmg3
This is a favorite of ours, originally printed from Cooks.com, which we've adjusted to our liking. We prefer to use more, smaller peppers, so you get more pepper to filling ratio. Serve with a good crusty...
Provided by OliveLover
This is not like the egg salad you get at the local deli (hard-cooked eggs, lots of mayonnaise, celery). It is creamy, but the dressing is yogurt-based, and the salad is packed with lots of vivid, fresh...
Provided by Martha Rose Shulman
I came across this recipe about three years ago on TOH's website. It originally called for 10 flour tortillas (6 inches), but I found my alteration to the recipe to be much better. I have also substituted...
Provided by Layla Noel
Make and share this Brunch Egg Burritos recipe from Food.com.
Provided by AZPARZYCH
Don't be afraid of kale! This tropical smoothie tastes more like pineapple and banana, it just happens to be bright green.
Provided by user
This is a delicious meal that is very similar to a risotto. It is particularly good in the summer when fresh ingredients are readily available. It's an old recipe that I've tweaked as I've made it. For...
Provided by Shuzbud
This recipe is a huge hit at my Christmas parties, but it's great for every occasion. Salty-crispy bacon and sweet pineapple. Yummy!
Provided by Karen D.
Boneless breast of chicken, lightly breaded and sauteed with brandy and Frangelico (a hazelnut liqueur).
Provided by Dave Fuhr
I'm always changing this salad up. Here I used tomato, zucchini and olives for a Greek-inspired salad. Try adding a few more favorite fresh veggies you know your family will love. -Elizabeth Lubin, Huntington...
Provided by Taste of Home
More recipes about "old fashioned apple dumplings"
OLD-FASHIONED APPLE DUMPLINGS | BROWN EYED BAKER
2020-08-06 · Apple dumplings are classic comfort food that dates back to the 1700s; when a recipe has been around that long, you know that it’s something extra special. These perfectly portioned individual desserts consist of a peeled apple …
- Make the Pastry Dough: In a large bowl, whisk together the flour and salt. Using a pastry blender or two knives, cut in the shortening until the mixture is crumbly. Gradually add the ice water, tossing the mixture with a fork, until the dough forms a cohesive mass. If the dough needs more water to come together, add it 1 teaspoon at a time. Divide the dough into eight equal portions, wrap each in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a small bowl, stir together the granulated sugar and cinnamon; set aside.
- Assemble the Apples: Roll each portion of dough on a lightly floured work surface into a 7-inch square. Place an apple in the center of each square. Place 1 teaspoon of butter and 1 teaspoon of the cinnamon-sugar mixture in the center of each apple.
- Gently bring up the corners of the pastry to the center of each apple; pinch the edges to seal. Place the pastry-encased apples in a greased 9x13-inch baking dish. Sprinkle with the remaining cinnamon-sugar mixture.
OLDFASHIONED APPLE DUMPLINGS | JUST A PINCH RECIPES
2011-10-29 · Fill cavity in apple with a small pat of butter and fill with some cinnamon & sugar. Pat dough molding it.around each apple to cover it completely Place Dumplings 1" …
OLD FASHIONED APPLE DUMPLINGS RECIPE - (2.4/5)
Preheat the oven to 375˚ F. In a mixing bowl add the flour and salt, stir. Step 2 With a pastry blender or a fork, cut in the shortening until the mixture is a coarse meal.
OLD FASHIONED APPLE DUMPLINGS | THE KITCHEN MAGPIE
2021-07-23 · Old Fashioned Apple Dumplings Apple dumplings have a reputation as being a bit old-fashioned, but that doesn’t mean they can’t still be super delicious. Filled …
OLD-FASHIONED APPLE DUMPLINGS - GOOD HOUSEKEEPING
2007-06-25 · Directions. In large bowl, mix flour, salt, and 2 tablespoons brown sugar. With pastry blender or two knives used scissor-fashion, cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. …
- With pastry blender or two knives used scissor-fashion, cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
OLD-FASHIONED APPLE DUMPLINGS - HOUSE OF NASH EATS
2020-08-26 · Old-Fashioned Apple Dumplings are made with sweet cinnamon-sugar apples wrapped up in an easy, flaky pastry and baked in a homemade cinnamon syrup. We love them served warm with a …
- Combine the flour, baking powder, salt, sugar, and shortening in a large bowl. Use a pastry cutter to cut the shortening into the flour until it resembles coarse crumbs. This step can also be done in a food processor. Add the milk and stir with a fork just until the dough clumps together. Cover with plastic wrap and set aside in the fridge.
- Roll out the pastry dough on a lightly floured surface. Cut into large squares and place an apple in the center of each square. Divide the butter, sugar, and cinnamon evenly between each of the apples.
GRANDMA'S APPLE DUMPLINGS RECIPE: HOW TO MAKE IT | TASTE ...
Cut into six squares. Place an apple in the center of each square; dot with butter. Bring corners of pastry up to top of apple; press edges to seal. Place in an ungreased 13x9-in. baking dish. Pour sauce into pan around dumplings. Brush dumplings …
OLD-FASHIONED APPLE DUMPLINGS RECIPE | EATINGWELL
2019-09-06 · Press dough gently against the apple to help adhere and, if needed, to repair any holes in dough. Step 4. Brush dumplings evenly with beaten egg. Arrange dumplings in an ungreased 13- x 9 …
- Prepare the dough: Pulse flour, sugar and salt in a food processor until fully combined, 6 to 8 times. Add shortening; pulse until mixture resembles small pea-size crumbles, 6 to 8 times. Add oil and ice cold water, 1 tablespoon at a time, pulsing until a loose dough forms, 6 to 8 times. Transfer to a dry work surface; shape into a 5- x 7-inch flat rectangle. Wrap with plastic wrap; refrigerate 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Stir together raisins, sugar, honey and cinnamon in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Unwrap dough and cut into six equal pieces. Roll each dough piece into a 5- to 6-inch square on a lightly floured work surface. Place one apple in the center of each square. Fill apple cores evenly with raisin mixture. Working with one square at a time, pull sides of dough up and over apple to wrap apple completely; pinch dough together at the top, brushing with tap water to seal. Press dough gently against the apple to help adhere and, if needed, to repair any holes in dough.
- Brush dumplings evenly with beaten egg. Arrange dumplings in an ungreased 13- x 9-inch baking dish. Bake in preheated oven until pastry is golden and apples are tender, 35 to 40 minutes.
OLD FASHIONED AMISH APPLE DUMPLINGS - TASTES OF LIZZY T
2019-08-30 · Amish Apple Dumplings are apples wrapped in a buttery, homemade dough and baked in a cinnamon-brown sugar syrup. One of the best apple recipes to make for a delicious fall dessert!. My …
OLD FASHIONED APPLE DUMPLINGS - CHOPNOTCH
2021-01-13 · Combine together 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, 2 cups white sugar, 3 cups water, and reserved butter in a saucepan. Bring to a boil, then simmer at low until sugar is dissolved completely. Then pour over dumplings …
- Cut butter into 8 equal pieces and place each into an apple opening, reserving leftover butter for the sauce.
OLD FASHIONED APPLE DUMPLINGS - ALLRECIPES | FOOD, FRIENDS ...
2003-07-13 · Apple Recipes More Holidays and Events Dish Type Breads Cakes Salads ... Old Fashioned Apple Dumplings. Reviews: BLADEOFSPIRIT 0 4 July 13, 2003. This had an OK taste to it. I used the recipe for Buttery Flaky Pie Crust (which was great) for the shell. I tried it with granny smith apples but I liked rome apples better. So did everyone else. End result was everyone really liked the shell just ...
OLD-FASHIONED APPLE DUMPLINGS - FARM BELL RECIPES
2012-11-19 · Old-Fashioned Apple Dumplings. Nov 19 . Loading... suzanne-mcminn. Apple dumplings was one of Georgia’s signature recipes, a frequent go-to when she had company. This is her recipe. Featured on CITR. Difficulty: Easy. Servings: 16. Prep Time: 1 1/2 hours Cook Time: 45-50 minutes Ingredients. Syrup 3 cups sugar 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg 3 cups …
OLD FASHIONED APPLE DUMPLINGS RECIPE | CDKITCHEN.COM
After the dumplings have baked for 30 minutes, pour the sauce over top of the dumplings and bake 30 minutes longer, basting occasionally. Serve hot with the cream. Serve hot with the cream. For Custard Sauce: In a heavy 1- to 1 1/2-quart saucepan, combine one-half cup of the milk and the cornstarch, and stir with a whisk until the cornstarch is dissolved.
OLD FASHIONED APPLE DUMPLINGS - TASTY EASY RECIPES
2020-09-24 · Step 4: Place one apple on every square. Arrange it facing upward. Step 5: Slice the butter into 8 pieces. Put a piece of butter on every apple. Set aside the rest of the butter. Step 6: Poke some small holes on the apples and sprinkle brown sugar, nutmeg, and cinnamon. Step 7: Get the two corners and fold in the middle and seal each dumpling.
OLD-FASHIONED APPLE DUMPLINGS WITH BROWN SUGAR APPLE CIDER ...
*Apple dumplings can be made the day before baking. Make recipe up to the point where the apples are encased in the pastry dough. Cover baking dish with plastic wrap or aluminum foil and place into the fridge until needed. To freeze: place apple dumplings onto a parchment-lined baking sheet and place into the freezer for 1 to 2 hours. Once completely frozen, remove apples and place into an ...
OLD-FASHIONED APPLE RAISIN DUMPLINGS RECIPE | EPICURIOUS.COM
2001-02-01 · Preheat oven to 425°F. Sift together flour, baking powder, salt, and 3 tablespoons granulated sugar into a bowl. Blend in butter and shortening with a pastry blender or your fingertips until...
10 APPLE DUMPLING RECIPES | ALLRECIPES
2021-07-23 · "These are the ones my grandmother used to make: warm, flaky, apple-y sweet and drizzled with a sauce that bakes right with them," says recipe creator Micki Wood. Serve each apple dumpling in a bowl with a drizzling of the sauce and a generous scoop of vanilla ice cream on top.
C RECIPES BETTY CROCKER : BETTY'S OLD-FASHIONED APPLE ...
2019-04-21 · Repeat with the remaining apples and place in prepared baking dish. In a medium saucepan, combine 2 cups water, 1 1/3 cups sugar, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, and the remaining cube of butter. Place over medium heat, and bring to a boil. Boil 5 minutes, until you have a nice syrup. Ladle syrup over apple dumplings in baking dish.
OLD-FASHIONED APPLE DUMPLINGS - RECIPE | COOKS.COM
2011-07-21 · OLD-FASHIONED APPLE DUMPLINGS : Pastry for 2 crust pie 1/3 c. granulated sugar 1 tsp. cinnamon 4 lg. McIntosh apples 2 tsp. butter 2/3 c. granulated sugar 1 whole cinnamon stick 1 1/3 c. water Few drops red food coloring 1 egg yolk, slightly beaten (optional) Make, then freeze any time up to 2 month ahead. Start heating oven to 425 degrees. Make, then divide pastry in fourths; roll out each ...
OLD FASHIONED APPLE DUMPLINGS – RECIPES IDEAS
2020-09-28 · OLD FASHIONED APPLE DUMPLINGS. Posted on September 28, 2020. INGREDIENTS : 1 recipe pastry for double-crust pie 6 large Granny Smith apples, peeled and cored ½ cup butter ¾ cup brown sugar 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg 3 cups of water 2 cups white sugar 1 teaspoon vanilla extract. INSTRUCTIONS : Step 1: Prepare the oven and preheat to 200 degrees …
OLD FASHIONED APPLE DUMPLINGS – DAILY RECIPES
2020-09-19 · Old Fashioned Apple Dumplings. by Sheryl September 19, 2020. Prep: 30 mins | Cook: 1 hr | Total: 1 hr 30 mins | Servings: 6 | Yield: 6 servings. Old but gold! These apple dumplings are still the best! As a kid, I have been a fan of this recipe. My mom always serves this all the time. It is a very easy recipe that you can surely pull off! Feel free to give it your take. Enjoy! Ingredients: 1 ...
OLD FASHIONED APPLE DUMPLINGS - RECIPES-HOMEMADE
OLD FASHIONED APPLE DUMPLINGS. INGREDIENTS : 1 recipe pastry for double-crust pie 6 large Granny Smith apples, peeled and cored ½ cup butter ¾ cup brown sugar 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg 3 cups of water 2 cups white sugar 1 teaspoon vanilla extract . INSTRUCTIONS : Step 1: Prepare the oven and preheat to 200 degrees C or 400 degrees F. Step 2: Brush with melted ...
OLD-FASHIONED APPLE DUMPLINGS | THEFENCEPOST.COM
2021-08-26 · Old-Fashioned Apple Dumplings. Recipes Recipes | 1 recipe pastry for double-crust pie. 6 large Granny Smith apples, peeled and cored. ½ cup butter. ¾ cup brown sugar. 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon . ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg. 3 cups water. 2 cups white sugar. 1 teaspoon vanilla extract. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Butter a 9×13 inch pan. On a lightly floured surface, roll …
OLD FASHIONED APPLE DUMPLINGS - COMFORTABLE FOOD
2013-10-24 · Old Fashioned Apple Dumplings BY: Ben Rayl PUBLISHED: 24 Oct, '13 UPDATED: 14 May, '21 4 Comments I visited my mother this summer and asked her for copies of all of her recipes, and I have been gradually going over them and re-making some of my favorite childhood foods.
GRANDMA'S OLD-FASHIONED APPLE DUMPLINGS | NESTING LANE INDULGE
2021-08-26 · Grandma’s Old-Fashioned Apple Dumplings are the perfect dessert for a crisp autumn evening. This recipe is so easy to make that even your kids can help out in the kitchen! A classic and favorite dessert. Made with pie crust pastry, Granny Smith apples, butter, brown sugar, ground nutmeg, ground cinnamon, water, vanilla extract, and sugar.